If your tooth has a small cavity — or if a small piece of your tooth was broken off — your dentist might recommend a dental filling, if your tooth is salvageable. During this procedure, they’ll remove any damaged portions of your tooth, and then fill in your tooth with a strong permanent dental filling material.